This is one of my all time favorite dishes and although it has little or no nutritional value, everybody needs to splurge once in awhile!
I was fed this stuff over several years when I was a kid, and always looked forward to it andnow our grandchildren also love this stuff! I believe most people either love it or hate it. Some military veterans have had their fill and never want to eat it again.
According to Wikipedia, in military slang it was commonly referred to as “$hit on a Shingle”, SOS, Stew on a Shingle”, Same old Stuff”, “Something on a Shingle” or my personal favorite “Save our Stomachs”
Here is my recipe….
- 1 2 oz. package Buddig dried beef
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 1-2 shingles (can be toast, biscuit, English muffin, cardboard, etc.)
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp. fresh grated nutmeg (optional)
- salt to taste
- a dash of cooking sherry or a dry white wine (optional)
That’s it! Enjoy with your favorite beverage!
Suggested music to listen to while preparing….
- “SOS” by Abba from their 1975 self titled album “ABBA”
- “I’m Still in Love with You” by the Reverend Al Green from his fifth studio album “I’m Still in Love with You” released in1972